The major objectives of UMEA are as follows.
- Mobilization of Head teachers at all levels, Parent Teacher Associations, Board of Governors and Schools Management Committees and teachers in all Muslim founded schools and colleges through meetings, and inspections at Regional and District levels.
- Provision of quality leadership through collaborative supervision of Head teachers for effective management and administration of their Institutions by making it possible to work together with other Head teachers in collaboration with Uganda Muslim Teachers’ Association on matters of academic efficiency and also through conducting seminars for heads of institutions regularly, Muslim teachers are to be given opportunities, where possible to acquire international exposures by way of attending seminars and conferences organized outside Uganda.
- Provision of Excellency in academic standards of Muslim schools by way of encouraging exchange of academic materials, providing teaching materials, awarding scholarships to our teachers and improve and provide new schools structures.
- Improvement on the organization and general set up as supervision of the Quran schools by way of providing common teaching and examination syllabuses and also improve on the quality of teachers in these schools.
- Establishment of international linkage with other organizations of similar objectives in Muslim friendly countries.
- To give a special attention to the education of Muslim women by way of establishing more girls’ schools and making appeals to Muslim parents not to neglect the education of girls as it has been the practice in the past.
- To establish Uganda Muslim Scholarship Board (UMSB) to operate under the umbrella of UMEA with its major objective of addressing the acute need for helping needy Muslim students at all levels who have intellectual ability to learn but lack economic means to do so.
- To establish, develop and operate schools, training and information centers for children of our community and to set income generating project of any description in order to support and fund activities of UMEA.
- To promote professional, vocational, academic, technical, scientific, cultural and business education in our institutions through provision of instruction to those admitted to UMEA established institutions.
- To promote, sponsor the writing of text books, plays and if thought desirable to fund exhibitions and to give prizes, certificates and diplomas to persons who are or have been students in established UMEA institutions.
- To institute and promote Quran and Islamic teaching in all institutions especially at primary school level by way of ensuring the availability of Islamic teachers(Mulars) and payment of their salaries on private basis since they are not on government payroll from time immemorial.
Finally the mission of UMEA is to create institutions that will train high quality believing Muslims with life skills that are necessary for enabling them to participate effectively in the affairs of their communities, nation and the international scene.
Abubakar S. Kakembo